Sunday, June 27, 2010

Chilli Struggles

Unfortunately the transplanted chilli babies are looking a little worse for wear today. I am not giving up hope however, and gave them all a good dousing of water before I left for work. The seedlings in the original egg carton seem to be doing a little better than the ones in the new carton.



CHILLIES IN ORIGINAL CARTON








Onto a completely different topic however, a partial lunar eclipse occurred last night. As I was driving back from work, I saw the moon in the sky ahead of me. It looked like someone had taken a small bite out of it. As I drove on towards home, it seemed like the bite grew bigger. I put this down to my (sometimes wayward) imagination and also thought it might have been one of those optical illusions which could occur in nature.
About an hour after reaching home, when I went outside to give the seedlings their nightly watering, I noticed the moon had now become a HALF moon! This time I knew it was no illusion or imagining. I had an inkling it might have been a lunar eclipse, but as I don't remember having really witnessed one before, I wasn't sure what it truly was. A couple of hours later, my boyfriend observed the moon was actually full. Strange... I thought.
Today, the news headlines confirmed what I witnessed last night. Apparently partial lunar eclipses only occur around four times every two years. Within Australia, last night's eclipse was visible only to its Central and Eastern parts. I wondered how this may affect plants, and their dependency on cycles and perhaps even the moon. I know of practitioners who truly believe in gardening during certain phases of the moon. A subject I know very little of, but which I am curious to find out more.

No comments:

Post a Comment