Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Pumpkin Patch Creation

Well I planted my first actual plants in the yard. I allocated an area next to the clothesline which we've named the "Pumpkin Patch". I've been successfully germinating some butternut pumpkin seeds in egg cartons, thanks to some encouraging words from a kids' gardening book. Unusual I think, but original.. it's called "How to Guzzle your Garden", by Jackie French. The author basically sees gardening as an enjoyable pastime, likening it to eating. I even thought of planting herbs in old joggers, as suggested by the book, but have since put it on the backburner. It would give the yard an interesting look!
Out of the 12 little eggholders in the carton, 6 have successfully grown into seedlings about 6cms high. I figured it was time I transferred them into the garden, and prepared an area about 1m x 1.5ms. I filled it with topsoil, manure and topped it with organic compost. It was a bit difficult getting the seedlings out of the eggholders, as the potting mix was shallow and not very compact, but I did my best. There were tiny, ever-so-fine roots which actually extended much longer than I thought from such a small seedling! As it was getting dark by the time I actually got all six seedlings into the ground, I just watered them - finally bought a watering can today - and breathed a huge sigh of relief. I will mulch them tomorrow with some of the hay bale. But I'm happy to say that butternut pumpkin is IN THE GARDEN! Whether or not it will survive is another story.











BABY PUMPKINS

No comments:

Post a Comment