Saturday, June 26, 2010

Seedlings Are GO!

Four days into the ground, three of the pumpkin seedlings seem to be doing well. Another is doing so-so, and the final two are perhaps not-so-great. I placed cardboard protectors around the seedlings (tip from a gardening book which I can't remember!) after seeing that they were being battered by fairly strong winds on the first day. It seems the three which are doing well are also the ones which are getting the most sun. This is because the pumpkin patch is right next to a fence, which I thought would help block out most of the winds - wrong! Unfortunately the fence is doing more to block out the crucial sun. The cardboard shields add to the block-out effect, but I figure at this stage, the sensitive pumpkin babies need more protection from the harsh wind. Perhaps the cardboard may positively affect the seedlings' growth spurts, as they strive upwards more quickly to reach the sun? Only time will tell.
Onto different seedlings now, I have thinned out a batch of chillies which have proliferated in an egg carton, up to 3cms high. Not thinking that they would germinate so well, I made the mistake of putting about six chilli seeds to each egg holder! So the most productive holders yield the full crop. The seedlings that have arisen are quite thin, and most have about 2 leaves on them. According to one book, I should wait till they have about 4 leaves before putting into the ground. However, in order to salvage most of these little chilli babies, I have painstakingly pulled some out from overcrowded egg holders, and transplanted them into a NEW egg carton. I have used only organic compost in the new carton, as opposed to plain potting mix. I also gave both egg cartons a thorough (but gentle) soaking. Here is to their survival. Go Seedlings GO!!
This morning I also weeded some grass seedlings which have popped their heads up through the topsoil... Hmmph! They're tough little critters! I don't mind the grass growing back in the areas we have designated as walkways between the pumpkin patch and the rest of the garden beds, but anywhere else and they're history!

No comments:

Post a Comment