Friday, August 27, 2010

Here Comes the Rain

It rained today. For the first time since round about April. Locals have remarked on how this has been one of the poorest dry seasons up here in the North the last few years. In my three and a half years up here, I must say this last 'Dry' has been quite humid and warm!

In a way I AM happy that the Wet is on its way. Why delay something which is inevitable? But I also hold fears for the new seedlings. Hopefully they will find their way and not be drowned by the watershed that is sure to come.

In a sad turn of events, the cherry tomato plants are looking a little bedraggled. Most of the ones in the middle bed have been afflicted by some sort of wilt. I'm guessing there is something in the soil which isn't agreeing with the tomatoes. I have put in potash, fed them with Liquid Powerfeed and chicken poo. Nothing seems to have made the soil to their liking. Though there is fruit on the tomato trusses, they are not growing noticeably bigger. All of the fruit is still quite green and minute.

Two of the Grosse Lisse plants in the large bed are also affected. It's a matter of time before the wilt spreads to the rest of the healthy plants. Most of the Grosse Lisse haven't even flowered yet, and are unlikely to. The plan is to leave the affected plants until the sorry end, then removal.


Luckily the rest of the plants are still holding up. The zucchini plant has sprung up like never before, although no fruit as yet. The eggplants are powering on, and I'm proud to say we have a Lebanese cucumber growing longer and thicker than my middle finger!! So now I know that my hand pollination has been successful and will keep up the good work - as I have yet to spot any bees to do the job.

EGGPLANT FLOWERS





LEBANESE CUCUMBER

BIRD'S EYE VIEW (Middle Bed)

No comments:

Post a Comment