Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Butternutty

Not much to report except the baby pumpkin is growing. SUCCESS is mine - with hand pollination - mwahahaaHAAHAHAHAH!!! The baby pumpkin started off quite green, and now it's quite a pale green-almost-white colour. The flower on top of its head is shrivelled and browned, but still attached. It makes the pumpkin look as if it has a brown mohawky tuft. I have the urge to draw eyes and a mouth on it and call it "Wilson".


I noticed also that another tiny female bud had started to form on the same vine which the baby pumpkin is growing. Except the tiny bud has now turned yellow and growth has stopped. Perhaps it's another plant-survival thing, where only one fruit can form on any one vine. Elsewhere on other vines of the pumpkin plant tells the same story. Where there is more than one female bud starting to form on a vine, only one will remain green whereas the others turn yellow and stunted. Maybe it's just a coincidence? Maybe it's a natural selection thing? Whatever it is I will get to the bottom of it... one day.

P.S. I also obtained an out-of-date bag of potatoes which I am now storing in the cupboard until they sprout 'eyes'. Then I shall plant those too!! MWaaahhaahahahahahhhAAHHAHA!! I think all this success with planting may be messing with my head....

No comments:

Post a Comment