Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Dressing the Fence

Here is the final site for the climbing beans and snow peas. We decided to place them next to the bare fence in the hope that they will climb all over and eventually shroud the fence. My boyfriend placed some wiring on the fence with the hope of enticing the beans and peas to clamber onto. A bare patch of fence just seems like an empty canvas calling out for some colour and life.

We spaced the beans 15cms apart, according to the packet instructions. I decided to intersperse them with snow peas as well. Not sure how well that will work, and I wonder whether the beans will take over the peas. See what happens I guess!







The passionfruit vines planted nearby seem to be slowly but surely taking to the wires placed on their part of the fence. Our final aim is to have the whole back fence covered with food-producing plants or bee-attracting flowers!












To that effect, I am happy to report two of the nasturtium seeds have sprouted. I started off another four today in a recycled food container. I am becoming somewhat of a pro at punching holes into used plastic food containers for seedlings!



The chickpeas I planted 3 days ago have also germinated into what you see below (about a week later). I find the pale green leaves and long stems quite appealing. Apparently chickpea plants also bear white or violet flowers (depending on variety). Win-win situation for me! I must admit to being a fan of the humble chickpea. They are a versatile addition to curries, soups and many vegetarian dishes. Can't wait to try making hommus using home-grown chickpeas!

No comments:

Post a Comment