Thursday, April 14, 2011

Going Bananas!

Looking out from an upstairs window this morning, my boyfriend remarked "What the heck is that on my banana?" We were both in the bathroom at the time, so it could have led to all sorts of smart comments. However, we both ran excitedly downstairs to investigate the bigger of the two banana trees in the backyard.



Upon a closer look, we found that the banana tree was starting to form the beginnings of a BUNCH of bananas! Having never seen how these actually take shape, I was naturally intrigued. I have seen fully developed bunches, replete with pendulous purple hearts, but never one in its infancy. Here's a picture...


I'd also fertilised and mulched the banana trees the day before, so I thought it was a bit cheeky that my partner could call them his bananas! But fair enough, he had bought and planted them as young plants, so they could be seen as his banana trees.


On a side note, due to the cyclones which have devastated banana-growing regions of Australia, the prices of bananas have quadrupled. Usually around $3 p/kg, bananas can now cost as much as $12 p/kg in supermarkets.


So we're definitely looking forward to the day when these beauties ripen into yellow, golden goodness which we can munch on! Definitely worth their weight in gold at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment