Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Harvesting Cucurbits


Well today has been another day of veggie-picking. Two big cucumbers and one GIANT zucchini! I had already harvested two other cucumbers on a previous occasion, but had left them on the vine a little too long, and they were full of seed. I still ate them though!

I am not sure if the slow-release fertiliser I put in the beds is working, but maybe it accounts for the super growth! The size of the zucchini has surpassed my expectations, and I hope I haven't picked it too late. Guess I'll find out later when I cook it for dinner one night.

I gave away both cucumbers, this time to Mrs Mulch, as she has contributed to the growth of the veggies with her chook poo. I know this will sound weird, but it feels unusual to be taking away the efforts of a plant that I have watched over and done all I can for. As much as this is what growing a food garden is all about, these first harvests feel like a rarity! Hopefully they won't prove to be, but at the moment, I am enjoying the novelty of being able to pick my own veggies and eating them. And sharing them round too!


FEMALE ZUCCHINI FLOWER

So far, most of the plants that have 'fruited' are members of the cucurbit family. Pumpkins, cucumbers and zucchinis are all part of the Cucurbitaceae group, which also includes gourds. Pumpkin and cucumber grow from vines, and their leaves are of similar shape, and can be a similar size (small pumpkin vs large cucumber). However the flowers are quite different in size and look. The zucchini plant is quite different again. The leaves are the biggest of all three compared and sit on thick hollow stems. However, the zucchini flower is similar in colour and size to a pumpkin flower.

I like the commonalities these plants share, and it's quite obvious why they are members of the same family. But they produce such different offspring at the same time. My conclusion is Cucurbits are pretty cool! And I'm glad they grow with such vigour in my garden. There is a bit of powdery mildew on some of the pumpkin leaves, but they haven't really affected the general health of the plants.
SIX DAYS AGO





ZUCCHINI TODAY

No comments:

Post a Comment