Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Firsts

Not much to report last week except I put up a shadecloth for the young seedlings to protect them from the harsh tropical sun. I couldn't risk them dying within the first few days of being planted in the middle bed. So I rigged up a temporary shelter using star pickets and a shadecloth we salvaged from a tip. The plants seemed happier in the semi-shade. The corn especially, recovered well after being quite droopy in the midday sun. I think I might be starting to learn a thing or two about caring for plants!


I guess I'll go into a few 'firsts' we've had in the garden....



Such as the first zucchini flower in the garden bed...








The first desert rose bloom...










The first pumpkin flower (male) from about 3 weeks ago....










The first (and hopefully last) unfertilised pumpkin...









The first 'rogue' sweet potato? We're not sure what it is yet... It just popped up in the most unlikely spot next to the slab of concrete beneath the clothesline.

No comments:

Post a Comment